Two Weeks Before Surgery
TWO WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY
- Stop all aspirin, Ibuprofen products or other anti inflammatory or NSAIDS.
- Speak to Dr. Kellis if you are taking any prescribed blood thinners.
- Do not use any Vitamin E supplements.
ONE WEEK BEFORE SURGERY
- Begin taking 500 mg of Vitamin C orally.
THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY
- The surgery center will call you the day before surgery to confirm your arrival time.
- If you were give prescriptions for medications prior to surgery, begin taking the medications as directed.
THE DAY OF SURGERY
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery.
- You may take your regular medications with a sip of water.
- Shampoo your hair. Wash around your eyes with soap, water and a clean washcloth. Men: Shave.
- Do not apply make-up, after-shave lotions, cologne or perfume.
- Leave all valuables at home, including jewelry, rings, wristwatches and wallets.
- You must have someone take you home from the surgery center after your operation. You cannot drive yourself.
- You can expect to be at the Surgery Center for 2 to 3 hours, depending on the type of surgery planned for you.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER SURGERY
- You will receive post-operative instructions and your follow-up appointment before you are discharged.
- You will be given ice packs to place on your eyes. Ice will reduce swelling and bruising. Apply these ice packs to your eyelids twenty (20) minutes on followed by twenty (20) minutes off continuously for the next two (2) days except when eating or sleeping.
- Resume your normal diet.
- Use Extra-Strength Tylenol every four (4) hours as needed for pain.
- Sleep with your head elevated on 2-3 pillows.
- Call our office with any questions or concerns.
WEEKS FOLLOWING SURGERY
- THE FIRST WEEK AFTER SURGERY
- Avoid rubbing and pulling on your eyelids.
- Keep the surgery site clean and dry. Do not allow water to beat on your eyelid while showering.
- Avoid washing your eyelids.
- Stitches will be removed one week after surgery.
- Do not discontinue prescribed ointments unless instructed otherwise.
- Do not wear your contact lenses until directed to do so by your doctor.
- Any scabbing on your upper lids should be allowed to fall off naturally. DO NOT pick scabbing off of your lids.
- FOR TWO (2) WEEKS AFTER SURGERY
- Avoid heavy lifting.
- Avoid swimming.
- FOR SIX (6) MONTHS AFTER SURGERY
- Avoid tanning or sunbathing. This can cause hyperpigmentation of the lids. Use sun block (SPF 30) and wide brimmed hats when spending time in the sunlight.
IT TAKES A FULL SIX (6) MONTHS FOR COMPLETE HEALING TO OCCUR. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WITH YOUR SURGICAL SITE
Stop all aspirin, Ibuprofen products or other anti inflammatory or NSAIDS:
- Vitamin E
- Ginko Biloba
- Fish Oil